The National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (NKUA) has 30 Faculties and three Interdepartmental Programmes. NKUA has a long lasting cooperation with Universities of Europe, the Balkans and beyond. The University comprises of more than 500 buildings and it has more than 150,000 students and a staff of more than 7,000. It has a capacity and expertise on aspects addressed in Environmental Studies & Education for Sustainable Development (ESD).
Many faculties and laboratories have developed expertise on environmental and public awareness issues and have incorporated relevant subjects in their curricula of environmental management, environmental law, ESD, etc. ESD courses are included in several departments, at graduate and post-graduate level. The department of Chemistry coordinates an Inter-University Master Course on Science Education in which a course on ESD is included. Since 2008, NKUA provides the Secretariat of the Network of the Mediterranean Universities for SD focusing on ESD. In 2011, NKUA holds the UNESCO Chair on Sustainable Development Management and Education in the Mediterranean.
Role of NKUA in the project:
- Contribute to the mapping exercise in Greece and complete the template for data collection.
- Assist in the development of an online platform of resources as well as get familiarised and review the online tool.
- Contribute to the bi-annual newsletters.
- Translate project materials into the national language.
- Provide feedback to the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) framework.
- Contribute to the dissemination and exploitation of the project outputs, outcomes and future network activities.
- Participate and actively contribute to the discussions generated in regional and annual meetings, seminars and conference.
Operational and financial management:
- Prof Michael Scoullos will coordinate the above administrative and academic project activities.
- Financial administration will be handled by Prof Michael Scoullos who will liaise internally with the institution’s finance department.