The University of Aveiro (UA) is a young university, founded in 1973, with over 15000 full-time students (graduate and postgraduate). The University has a strong research profile, a unique model of governance (16 Departments, 4 Polytechnic Schools and various training centers), acting as a regional network for education and training promoting strong links with the surrounding community and was a pioneer in launching degrees in new subject areas. UA is interested and engaged in integrating sustainable development into the curriculum with a focus on health sciences and medicine.
The BMD structure is fully implemented and learning outcomes are introduced. Recognition of prior learning is also being implemented for those who do not have the formal entrance requirements. The University is a member of the European Consortium of Innovative Universities and was one of the first institutions to be granted the ECTS label in 2004, with this distinction having been renewed in 2009 and the Diploma Supplement Label also awarded in that year. UA participates in five ERASMUS MUNDUS Joint Masters programmes (and is co-ordinator in one of these). UA also runs several joint doctoral programmes with other Portuguese Universities. It has also provided resources for its research policy through funding and the provision of high quality researchers. Current challenges involve expanding these types of inter-institutional collaboration and launching research linked doctoral programmes in the near future as well as the extension of School of Health Science as part of the University’s strategic focus on medicine and the paramedical education and training.
The University’s governance model permits the articulation and harmonisation of the teaching and research environments, and enables the construction of individual educational paths, from post-secondary technological specialisation programmes to doctoral degrees. Teaching activities are developed in a research-based environment, and throughout the academic year, dozens of national and international conferences are organised, generating a dynamic and multicultural atmosphere for students and staff.
UA is a privileged partner of companies and other national and international entities, with which it cooperates on various projects and programmes and for which it provides important services. As a quality research institution, the University of Aveiro develops solutions and innovative products that contribute to technological, scientific, cultural and social improvement.
Role of UA in the project:
- Contribute to the mapping exercise in Portugal.
- Assist in the development of an online platform of resources as well as get familiarised and review the online tool.
- Contribute to the bi-annual newsletters.
- Provide feedback to the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) framework.
- Write an academic paper.
- Contribute to the dissemination and exploitation of the project outputs, outcomes and future network activities.
- Participate and actively contribute to the discussions generated in regional and annual meetings, seminars and conference.
Operational and financial management:
- The project team will coordinate the above administrative and academic project activities.
- Financial administration will be handled by project team who will liaise internally with the institution’s finance department.