KHLeuven (Leuven University College) is a university college with campuses in the cities of Leuven and Diest. In the academic year 2012-2013, KHLeuven has around 7,500 students and around 725 members of staff.
KHLeuven offers bachelor programmes, advanced bachelor programmes, postgraduate certificates and other continuing studies in the fields of education, commercial sciences and business administration, health care, industrial sciences, and social work. These programmes are organised in four departments:
Department of Business Studies
- Department of Teacher Education
- Department of Health and Technology
- Department of Social Work, Heverlee
As a knowledge institution, the university college also takes part in various research projects, and provides services to other stakeholders. One of the research topics of KHLeuven is the integration of sustainable development in higher education. The KHLeuven has been a partner in several national and international research projects focusing on:
- ecological footprint of universities (2011-2012, funded by the Flemish government, Province of Flemish Brabant)
- European e-learning module for responsible business (Erasmusproject REBEL, 2008-2011, website: www.responsiblebusiness.eu)
- integration of sustainable development in social work (2008-2010, funded by the Flemish government)
- defining a model of competences for sustainable development for teacher training (Comeniusproject CSCT, 2004-2008, website: www.ensi.org/Projects/Former_Projects/CSCT/)
- the integration of sustainable development in higher education: defining strategies and indicators education (2005-2008, funded by the Flemish government)
- a toolkit for environmental care and sustainable policies in universities (2004-2005, funded by the Flemish government)
- integration of CSR within bachelor programmes in business management (2003-2005, funded by the Flemish government)
KHLeuven has also introduced sustainable development in its mission and policy, starting with a policy plan for SD (2008-2013). It achieved – as the first university in Belgium – a sustainability certificate for all its education programmes, based on the sustainability audit instrument AISHE (2007). It is up untill now the only Belgian university achieving this result for all its education programmes. In 2010, the department of business studies obtained the second level of this sustainability certificate. Also, KHLeuven is the first Flemish university who calculated its actual ecological footprint (2011-2012) for all its departments, resulting in practical guidelines to lower the impact of the university on the planet.
Role of KHL in the project:
- Coordinate the mapping exercise in Belgium and complete the template.
- Assist in the development of an online platform of resources as well as get familiarised and review the online tool.
- Translate project materials into Flemish.
- Contribute to the bi-annual newsletters.
- Provide feedback to the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) framework.
- Participate in the trial of the academy for ESD in HE.
- Contribute to the dissemination and exploitation of the project outputs, outcomes and future network activities.
- Participate and actively contribute to the discussions generated in regional and annual meetings, seminars and conference.
Operational and financial management:
- The project team will coordinate the above administrative and academic project activities.
- Financial administration will be handled by project team who will liaise internally with the institution’s finance department.